School Leavers

School Leavers - Getting an NIS number

As soon as you leave school you should register with the National Insurance Office.

Here’s how:

– Visit the Registration Section of the Office on Culloden Road

– Fill out the relevant form

– Make sure you bring the necessary identification – passport, Barbados ID card, Original Birth Certificate

Once you’ve registered you’ll receive a National Insurance Registration Card with your National Insurance number on it within a few weeks.


1 Keep your card in a safe place

2 If you lose your card ask the National Insurance Office for a new one right away

3 You don’t need to re-register if you change jobs, just let your new employer know that you already have a National Insurance number

4 Your number remains the same even if you change jobs several times

For more information see our FAQ and Glossary in our Information Zone.

Related Links

PWC Jobs

Caribbean Job Search

Barbados Community College

University of the West Indies